Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Grapefruit Seed Extract

Ok, so if you know me even a little, you know that I try to be as all natural as possible when it comes to healing, medicine etc.   We don't give the kids antibiotics unless it is absolutely necessary.  Personally I feel like antibiotics are way overused.  You go to the Dr. for a sniffle and they are prescribing an antibiotic before you can finish describing your symptoms.  So anyway, as a family we've taken the all natural approach to healing whenever possible.  This is great to keep on hand.  You can buy it from most health food stores.  It comes in a little bottle and lasts forever.  It's the extract from grapefruit seeds.  It's an all natural, antibacterial, anti fungal, and you can use it for so many things. 

I was a little skeptical too when I first heard about it.  But we use it around here for all kinds of things.  Sore throats, flu symptoms, stomach issues.  I even had an infection in my thumb once, it hurt so bad for like 3 days.  I was getting ready to go the urgent care and I tried putting a few drops of GSE on it instead, and the next day the pain was gone and it was already starting to clear up.  I know I sound like an infomercial - LOL.  But what have you got to lose?  Dr's will even tell you that if you overuse antibiotics, they lose their effectiveness.  So why not switch to something more all natural?  Antibiotics also kill off any good bacteria in your digestive tract along with the bad stuff, so that's why you tend to get sick with something right after you finish a round of antibiotics.  Because you've killed off everything, even the good stuff that your body needs to fight infection! 

Ok, I'm off my soapbox for at least a week.  ;)   But trust me, go get a bottle of GSE, it costs around $12.  It's safe for little ones too.  You can even take a drop or two a day to ward off sickness.  Especially good for cold and flu season. 

1 comment :

Tina said...

I totally get where you are coming from. I,also, think doctors use antibiotics way too much! I think that, in some cases, parents just want the easy fix. They don't have time to deal with something different. Some parents know what doctors give out antibiotics quickly. I think, first, we need to find another doctor who will take the time to tell us different things we can do.
But on the flip side, I think there should be a caution to this tale, that sometimes, only antibiotics will do the cure. If parents wait too many days, let's say with strep, it could turn into something much worse and kids could have to spend days in the hospital due to infection.
So, as I agree with you on antibiotics are overused, you also have to trust your mommmy instinct and know when it is time to go to the docs!

Post a Comment

Let's get to know each other, please leave a comment!