Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Basement Makeover

So my big focus right now is our basement.  We have a fairly large basement divided into 3 sections.  One whole side is dedicated to laundry, sewing, craft area.  It's unfinished, kinda cobwebby, but it works for what we need - for now.  There is a door, and a wall, and I can close that room off to the rest of the basement if I want to.

The other 2 rooms - one is our oldest daughter Kalyssa's room and the first room when you come downstairs is going to be our family room.  It was originally just a junk, sewing, office room.  But I decided I wanted another living space. A place for the girls and their friends to hang out, or all of us to watch a movie together - kind of whatever.  Seating was the first issue.  We needed a couch down there, but I really didn't want to buy something new.  Budget is tight, so I knew we were gonna have to do this remodel on the thrifty side.  Lucky for me Pinterest is my best friend.  I had remembered seeing some pallet couches, and figured we could easily do that for a fraction of the cost of a new sectional.  Spent a Saturday morning looking for pallets that would suit my purpose, but weren't finding any that were all uniform or not completely damaged.  My awesome hubby said he would build the pallets that we needed.  We had all the scrap wood, so YAY - no cost pallet couch base!  I am currently in the process of making the cushion covers.  I am making large 33"x33" cushions for the sofa.  I am going to stuff them with chopped foam - a combination of regular foam and memory foam.  I actually found a place online that sells chopped foam by the pound for really inexpensive.  So I bought a little and am going to stuff one of the pillow covers and see how well it sits, how I like it etc. before I buy all that I need.  I also found curduroy fabric at Joann's for $2.50 a yard.  I thought that was a really good deal after seeing some pricey stuff elsewhere.  It was on major clearance and I only needed 8 yards...When all is said and done, my pallet sofa sectional will only have cost me about $100!  Score!

However, I am getting slightly ahead of myself.  I really  just want to share some inspiration for the room.  I think I want to kind of go with a rustic, eclectic theme down there.  I'm having so much fun planning out the family room - I can't wait till it's finished so I can post the final product.  Follow me on Instagram for updates along the way!

Some pallet sofas that are super cute





In the meantime, enjoy my basement board on pinterest...
basement

No comments :

Post a Comment

Let's get to know each other, please leave a comment!