Monday, March 7, 2011

Printer's Drawer DIY Project

Ok, let me just put a disclaimer right here that there was some harming of the antique printers drawer for this re-purposing project.  And while you may think what I did is a travesty to such a great antique piece, I would have to argue that the bigger travesty is having a great old printer's drawer and keeping it locked away in a garage for the past 2 years.  So here is the unveiling of what I did with one of my drawers.  I'll go into what I did and then post pics at the end.  Mine was divided into 2 sections with a large main divider down the middle and a bunch of random size cubbies on either side of that large divider.  So I took a hammer and pliers and knocked and ripped out all the dividers to get rid of all the cubbies.  I know, I know, but it had to be done, and if I'm being honest I did have just a bit of refinishing remorse once I got started. This part was not as easy as I would have thought.  They definitely made those things to last.  Anyway, after I ripped all those out, I took it outside and washed the whole thing with soapy water.  I'm not really sure if that was the proper way to clean it, but it was so very dirty,  it needed more than a dusting.  I will be adding 2 handles on either side I just haven't had a chance to get to a hardware store... and voila!  A tray to display my favorite random items on.  I must confess, this idea was not my own.  I did steal it from a website.  But seriously, how cute is it??   It turned out way better than I thought it would.  And I like that it now has multiple uses. I'm thinking it would make a great breakfast in bed tray... AHEM Brandon Whittall.  :)

I currently have an old china set on it.  I think it belonged to Brandon's great grandmother, maybe his grandmother I can't remember for sure.  I've broken a few pieces over the years, but it's always just been boxed up, I never use it.  So maybe I'll drink my morning coffee in one of the pretty little teacups.  :)

I debated painting it, but it still has some of the old paper in it, so I didn't want to rip all of that out.  So decided to leave it the way it is.

Still deciding what to do with my other printer's drawer.  hmmmm

Much better than sitting in my musty garage don't you think?


You can see the old paper in this pic... I didn't want to get rid of all that.

Will be the perfect little tray once I add some handles.

Have no idea if this is where it will stay, but for now it will.   

I refinished that black cabinet a few years ago.  It used to be white and it was in my mom's attic for as long as I can remember.  I think she told me it was a built in cabinet at one point.  She lives in an old victorian house in MA, my grandparents and great grandparents lived there too.  So it's kind of neat to have a piece of my family history in my dining room.  :)
Oh, and try not to be too jealous of my fabulous wood paneled walls.

1 comment :

Tina said...

very cool idea, and I'm glad you didn't paint it!
that flash sure bounces off that paneling! LOL. J/K!
Looks very cute!!

Post a Comment

Let's get to know each other, please leave a comment!